Creative Ideas Brainstorming

After the evaluation and exploration of each of the eight set texts in turn, I find myself looking towards the ideas stage of my project. What kind of film do I want to make? As a task of brainstorming, a few conceptual ideas should lead my thinking:

An original idea?
A news story/ historical event?
Development from one of the set short films?
Adaptation of an existing novel/ short story?

As much as these all intrigue me, I am heavily inclined towards presenting something that I have created, an original idea. A news story could be interesting, but would likely lead me down a route of crime-based ideas, something both uninspiring to me personally and probably outside of the realms of possibility with the resources I have. Similarly, the prospect of recreating something from the past immediately brings to mind the limitations of costuming, sets, acting and a dozen other factors. I don't mean to completely dismiss these modes, because I believe that with enough passion and a savvy attitude they could be made effectively and convincingly; it is more that my own drive comes from expressing something personal to myself, instead of the recreation of something external. This perhaps eliminates the adaptation of another's story, as well, although this offers more creative possibilities to me on the whole.

So what do I want to say? Originality is something I certainly want above all else. Mentioned before is my love for dark comedy, which by its nature can subvert any aspect of the world into the cruelly funny - perhaps something to do with the climate, something to with a schoolboy's revenge on his teachers, some subversion of a romantic comedy or family drama. The idea of utilising an existing text, then twisting it crudely at the end as a simple but effective subversion could be very impactful -  some charming fairy-tale, or something classical like Shakespeare to sodomise (figuratively speaking of course). Otherwise, something resembling a music video might give a slick and guided approach to the images I wish to portray, as well as giving me a wide field of possibility to work with. Perhaps a combination of the two, a song accompanied by something purposefully and maliciously subversive.

The prospect of a film altogether surreal, or at least non-traditional, had always been on my mind as well. Over's anti-chronological narrative, constantly rending the viewer's understanding of the events at hand in another direction I admire greatly... the film that allows the audience to piece together for themselves the events at hand makes for a far greater revelation. One might even say that the further a viewer has to stretch in order to attain a meaning, the more powerful the revelation comes as such, but naturally this has to be considered against whether anything can be attained from it at all. Recently studying the French surrealist cinema of Dali and Buñuel also has my thoughts inclined perhaps even further than that, to something defiantly nonsensical, to the effect of purity of expression - ridding yourself from the very principles of logic in order to convey the workings of the mind. I've started a dream log recently, so to decipher something from there into a filmmaking format could yield intriguing and subversive results.

Further brainstorming to come, but this should serve as an interesting reference to come back to when I'm settling on a final idea, at the least.

Till next time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Set Research Film No. 1: Slap

Set Research Film No. 5: Operator

Shot List and Final Arrangements